Scheme A: Scheme for Winners of Specified International Competitions/Awards
(i) Call for Application Period and Eligible Period
- Call for Application period from 1 Mar 2022 to 30 Jun 2023.
- All specified awards are eligible for application throughout the eligible period, commencing from 1 Aug 2021 to 30 Jun 2023.
- Award fees will be reimbursed from 1 Aug 2021 to 30 Jun 2023, and the reimbursement claim for award fees for specified awards will be granted once award announcement is released during the eligible period.
- There will be no retrospective approval for reimbursement claims in respect of awards obtained before the eligible period (i.e. 1 Aug 2021).
- Application will be counted on a “First-Come-First-Served Basis” based on the submission date of the application form. If any material information is missing, eg. flight ticket details, a 1-month period will be allowed for applicants to supplement the missing information.
- Reimbursement will continue until the fund has run out.
- All specified awards (please refer to Annex: 35 International Competitions/Awards list) are eligible for application throughout the eligible period, from 1 Aug 2021 to 30 Jun 2023.
- Individual applicants must be a Hong Kong permanent resident.
- Design companies or design-applying enterprises must be incorporated in Hong Kong and hold a valid Business Registration Certificate.
- No age-limited is imposed and the applicant is not only limited to design practitioners only. (If the public or design students have the capacity and talents to gain the specific awards, they can also apply.)
The scheme is on a “First-Come, First-Served” basis and the applicant who receives the support from the scheme shall undertake to share his/her/its works at the SIDA exhibition and sharing seminars. No application fee will be charged for applying HKDA SIDA 2021/22. Awardees of unlisted competitions/awards in this program will not be considered.
Funding support is given in the form of a lump sum grant. A total sum of the award participation fee of each listed award will be reimbursed once the applicant is being awarded as a winner. Each award will be based on its application and award fee in order to be reimbursed. An awardee or awardee’s representative must attend the award ceremony to receive the award, if no representative showcases in the award ceremony, no reimbursement can be applied. The meaning of “award fee” is the compulsory fee of which the awardee needs to pay in order to get the award such as the winners’ promotion fee, the interview fee, the printing fee and etc. requested by the award organizer with official receipts.
An applicant is required to provide the winner’s work name, description, designers / design companies name, information of contact persons including names, addresses, telephone numbers and any related information.
An applicant is required to submit both invoices and receipts for reimbursement claim and issued in the name of the applicant (for representative’s flight and accommodation, the payer must be under the name of the applicant and the representative will be the guest name). In order to avoid the double subsidy or duplicated financial support, an applicant needs to sign a guarantee that he/she/it has not gained any other funding sources while applying the same specified international award in the same year using the same design.
< Reimbursable items >
- Entry fee
- Courier fee
- Publication fee (Winners Package)
- Exhibition fee
- Flight and accommodation for the collection of the award. (This only applies when the organizer has sent an official invitation to the winner. Only ONE representative will be sponsored to collect the award. One air return ticket in economy class to the location of the award ceremony and two nights’ hotel accommodation not exceeding HK$2,000 per night for this representative.)
Entry fee, Taxation, Courier Fee, Publication Fee and Exhibition Fee varies in different international competitions/awards, the maximum reimbursement of each award is HK$100,000 while the maximum reimbursement cap for a design unit (designer or design company) in the Scheme A+B is HK$ 200,000.
For illustration purposes, a designer/design unit cannot reimburse more than HK$200,000 even if the designer wins more than one specified international awards within the eligible period. SIDA does not restrict the number of awards
1) Designer A won 2 awards and has already paid HK$120,000 for each award. He can only reimburse HK$100,000 for every single award, so the reimbursement amount will be HK$100,000 + HK$100,000 = HK$200,000.
2) Designer B won 3 awards and paid HK$120,000 for the first award, HK$50,000 for the remaining two awards. He can reimburse HK$100,000 for the first award and HK$50,000 for the remaining two, the total reimbursement amount will be HK$100,000 + HK$50,000 + HK$50,000 = HK$200,000.
3) Designer C won 8 awards and paid HK$20,000 for each award, he can reimburse all the awards, the total reimbursement will be HK$20,000 x 8 awards = HK$160,000.
4) Designer D used the DFA awards winning work to enter two international awards and paid $10,000 entry fee, meanwhile won 2 other international awards and paid HK$20,000 for each award, the total reimbursement amount will be HK$10,000 + $20,000 x 2 awards = HK$50,000.
(vi) Reimbursement and Release of Grant
Reimbursement will be processed within 3 months after the application is considered successful.
Since the project is government-funded under CreateSmart Initiative (“CSI”) governance, an applicant understands that this project is operating under the supervision of HKSAR Government, and agrees the reimbursement schedule will be followed by the actual payment schedule of CSI funding issued by the HKSAR Government. A successful applicant will receive 70% of the reimbursement in the preliminary round of examination. The last phase of payment will be settled within 6 – 9 months once the project funds from CSI are received.
In case of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the English and Chinese version of the guidance notes and the English version shall prevail.